I used a detailing set from Chooch Enterprises #610. It provided the ladders, tack boards and Camel door hardware.
The next step is to install body weight and roof. I use large galvanized steel washers from Ace Hardware for weights. The roof is added next. At this point, I usually rework the rivet detail on the roof end. I add a rivet strip to cover the seam between the body and roof casting.
The trucks and coupler go on next. You want to adjust the height of the car once you have your truck of choice installed. I used San Juan AAR Double Truss trucks and their Type-E couplers.
The brake system needs to be installed next. The basic parts for the AB set are from San Juan as are the clevis. I used the brake levers in the Chooch #610 set to complete the components. The piping and rods are done is 0.020″ brass. Note that the train line crosses over the top of the underframe rather than through. It does call for some fancy bending to get it over the top. I made a support platform for the air reservoir out of some 3″ channel.
At this point you can mount the trucks and start on the door details and some of the finishing details. I usually leave the door details to last since this reduces the chances of the delicate latches and guides being damaged. Examine the unpainted door area to see what parts were added. The tack board is from Chooch. It is much finer in detail than the stock IM part. The door latches and Camel guides came from Chooch #610 set. I made the small tack board from strip styrene. The handle is made from brass strip. The hold up better than the cast plastic parts found in the Chooch set. I built up the left edge of the door stop to form a channel that overlaps the door edge.
The stirrups were made from strip brass and blackened prior to installation.
The roof walk is made up from 0.030″ thick by 0.100″ strips with wood grain added. I drilled the boards and added styrene rod to simulate the carriage bolts used to mount to parts. Don’t install them until after the roof is painted black.
I painted the model using Floquil ATSF Brown on the sides and ends. The roof and underframe were painted Floquil Weathered Black. The decals are a combination of Champ for the map and Microscale for the rest. The Champ film is very thick and the lettering is not very opaque. Weathering was done using Kuras weathering washes of rust and black. I used think wash of earth to highlight parts of the underframe. The trucks had some oil stains added around the journals and wheel faces.
Leave a Reply